Brian's Spicy Bourbon BBQ
Recommended by Brian
- (1) 15oz can of tomato sauce
- (1) white onion
- (4) garlic cloves, minced
- (3) red Fresno chilies or other fresh peppers
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp Three Amigos Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup (+ 1 tbsp) tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3/4 cup favorite bourbon whiskey
- 1 tbsp favorite hot sauce
- Prepare your base (aka ketchup). Saute 1/2 white onion and (2) cloves of garlic in a non-reactive saucepan until soft and translucent. When ready, toss in the Three Amigos Pepper Flakes, ground clove, ground allspice and dark brown sugar, stirring until the sugar melts.
- Prepare your bourbon addition. In a separate non-reactive sauce pan or pot, saute 1/2 white onion, Fresno Chilies, and (2) cloves of garlic until soft and translucent.
- Cooking the sauce. Transfer ingredients to a blender or use an immersion blender to quickly puree everything until the desired consistency is achieved.
- Package your sauce I like to use a wide mouth jar or squeeze bottle when packaging this sauce as opposed to the 5 oz Woozy Bottles simply because this sauce can get pretty thick and people like to dig in! This sauce should last about 2 weeks on the counter, a good number of months in the fridge, or even longer if you freeze it for storage. If you would like, you can add potassium sorbate or sodium benzoate to the mix for some extra shelf life.
Reduce heat to low.
Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, and vinegar, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
Quickly, stir in pepper, salt, liquid smoke, and Worcestershire sauce.
Combine all ingredients into single sauce pan or pot and bring to simmer, letting rest at a simmer for 20 minutes.
Touch up your sauce with additional Worcestershire Sauce, Liquid Smoke, and Your favorite Hot Sauce until it is just right, to your taste.
Simmer for an additional 20 minutes.